Monday, June 6, 2016

God's Math

It has always been as simple as 2+2=4.
Even when it was not so simple (x + 7) = 10, it at least made sense. (x = 3 if you are trying to figure it out).
Even the new "common core" while it may take 6 days longer to figure out a simple equation, still gets you to the logical answer.

Yet there is an element of faith that at times does not always add up.  Faith requires the ability to understand "new math" in the realm of God that is not always logical.

I have tried and tried and tried.  But so often it just does not add up.  How does God take the finite I offer and multiply it by his infinite to come up with the extraordinary.

My struggle is not with the math skills of God.  He is the common denominator in life.  It is that he takes something that seems like a negative and makes it a positive.  He defies the rules of math.  I was always taught that a negative can only be a positive when multiplied by another negative.  But somehow his positive always outweighs my negative.  His mathematical algorithms supersede my logical brain.

This is the properties of faith.  Faith calls us to not try to do math too much.  Faith challenges to trust that the logical rules do not apply to divinely creative God.  The more we try to add it up, the more God surprises us with how he makes it add up.

What I have learned from the Divine Calculus no matter how much I try to predict the answer and the formula to get there, I am typically wrong,  Yet in my incorrectness is always the right answer at the right time in just the right way.

God's math may not add up, but it is always correct.


No comments:

Post a Comment