Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Birthday Post

39 years old...there  I have said it.

A lot of days I act more 19.  Live slightly more 29.  And dream of an early retirement in a beach bungalow at 59.

But today I turn 39.

39 is a birthday with little fan fare.  My celebrating started at breakfast with a couple snicker-doodle cookies.  Will wind down with 2 more cookies.   And very little excitement in between.

But 39 is a reflective year.  It is on the edge of the hill that leads to being old.  But young enough to know there is lots of life ahead.  39 has sprinkled gray into my once dark brown hair from years of learning.  But it also lets you know there is wisdom yet to gained.  39 lets you look back on what you believed to be your best years and look ahead knowing the best is yet to come.

Numbers were something important to God.  There is an entire book of the Bible that tells us so.  Numbers are important to us as well.  My age is not a measure of life lived or yet to be lived.  No the number of years is a reflection on the goodness of God.

David wrote it best when he said "may goodness and mercy follow me all the days of my life."  So God's mercy and his goodness that chased down a prodigal heart at 19 is still chasing me at 39.

So one more snicker-doodle and a thankful heart for all God has done and promises to do even at 39.

No comments:

Post a Comment